The facilitator must not only be able to work well with several people all at once, but he must also have the ability to be tuned into the things that are happening around him. He should also be able to change or suspend the direction of whatever process he is working on whenever necessary. So what are the characteristics of a good strategic planning facilitator? Well instead of stalling any further, let us find out about that, shall we?
Characteristics of a Good Strategic Planning Facilitator
In order to be deemed worthy enough to be hired, a strategic planning facilitator must possess the following characteristics:
• Excellent Communication Skills – during a strategic meeting, it is important that the facilitator be able to get everyone involved, and the best way to do that is through communicating with them. A facilitator who possesses above average skills in communicating with others will definitely help you go a long way.
• Has the Experience to Back It Up – this is obviously a no brainer seeing as how much of a big role experience plays in the whole decision making process. Being able to handle and lead strategic planning processes as if they were nothing is an important asset to have for any facilitator looking to get hired.
• Understands Issues Surrounding an Organization – each company or organization has its own set of issues to deal with, and having a strategic planning facilitator who knows and understands how to handle these issues will be a huge advantage for you and your company.
• Committed to Making Sure That the Group Reaches Its Desired Outcome – a good facilitator must have the commitment necessary to ensure that a group can reach the kind of progress that it desires. This is one quality that will really make you say that the money you spend will be worth every single penny that comes out of your pocket.
• Can Offer Both Insight and Empathy – having someone who can give you advice and actually empathize with you while doing so can be a real morale booster. He doesn’t necessarily have to be like Dr. Phil and give you hugs to make you feel better. Sometimes all it takes is a little bit of advice to help an organization go in the right direction.
The next time you are trying to look for a strategic planning facilitator for your company, just remember the tips given above because these are the qualities that you should look for in a facilitator who can give your company the long term success it deserves.